God's Warm Place
What Is It?
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
“God’s Warm Place” is a cold weather overnight shelter program available during the months of December, January, and February at the First Presbyterian Church, 260 West McLaughlin Avenue, Madisonville, KY. We encourage anyone who does not have access to a warm and safe place to sleep to utilize this community ministry. The only requirement is that our guests cooperate fully with our volunteer staff and do not disturb others.
We will provide a warm and secure indoor space in our gym with mattresses, blankets, bathroom facilities, and warm beverages for anyone who needs overnight shelter from the cold.
On nights when the temperature or wind chill (“feels like” temperature) is forecast to be 32 degrees or below by The Weather Channel (or Weather Underground), we will fly a white flag on the outside wall of the gym, and open the shelter doors at 7:00 pm. The shelter will remain open until 7:00 am the next morning, and all men, women, and children will be welcomed.
If you would like more information about the shelter, please call the church office at 270.821.6426.
- Written by admin admin
- Shelter hours are 7:00 pm until 7:00 am
- All guests must register at the shelter entrance.
- An ID of some type will be helpful if available.
- Guests will be subjected to metal detection scanning during registration.
- The following are absolutely prohibited: alcoholic beverages, drugs (Staff must be notified of required prescription medications), weapons of any kinds, and animals.
- Should a guest leave the shelter before 7:00 am, he or she may not re-enter.
- Smoking inside the shelter is prohibited. There will be outdoor smoking breaks at 8:30 pm and 9:30 pm.
- Guests will be separated by gender. Men will sleep in one area, and women in a separate area.
- Inappropriate behavior of any kind will not be tolerated. Inappropriate behavior will result in a guest being asked to leave the shelter. Behavior will be monitored by closed circuit cameras, and by the Madisonville Police Department.Lights will be turned out at 10:00 pm.
- The lights will be turned back on at 6:00 am.
- Each guest is expected to maintain his or her area in a neat and safe manner. Cleanup will begin at 6:00, and any assistance from the guests will be appreciated.
- The shelter staff will make every reasonable effort to make the overnight stay for each guest as safe and peaceful as possible.
Instructions for Volunteers
- Written by admin admin
To sign up as a volunteer staff member, please go to the Sign Up Genius website (click here). You will be asked for your name, email address, and cell phone number. You do not have to sign up for an account with Sign Up Genius. If the shelter is closed on a night that you are scheduled to work (temperature and "feels like" temperature are forcast to be above 32 degrees by the Weather Channel and Weather Underground), you do not have to show up, but please consider signing up for another night. There will be a "Host" from First Presbyterian Church present to assist with opening the shelter each evening, and closing the shelter each morning. Initially, we are limiting signups to two times each week in order to give everyone a chance to be "blessed to be a blessing."
“To Do” List for Volunteer Staff Members
- Arrive at the shelter at 6:45 pm to prepare for guest sign in at 7:00.
- Scan each guest with the metal detector at sign in. If knives are found, they can be locked in the kitchen until morning.
- Heat the “soup du jour” in the large electric roaster.
- Make coffee in the Bunn coffee maker with 2 scoops of the large green spoon in the coffee can and a full carafe of water.
- Heat water for hot chocolate and tea with the Bunn coffee maker.
- Put soup, crackers, the two percolators, a pitcher of water, and cups or mugs on a table on the west wall of the gym.
- Place mattresses as needed in the men’s area (west) and women’s area (east).
- Place a clean blanket on each mattress.
- Allow smoke breaks outside the shelter entrance doors at 8:30 and 9:30
- Clean up everything before lights out at 10:00 pm
- Share a short devotional and prayer before lights are turned out.
- Leave lights in entrance hallway and bathroom hallway on all night. There may also be night lights placed around the gym.
- Check the bathrooms several times each evening. Check for contraband stashed in toilet tanks and replace paper towels and toilet paper as needed.
- Turn on lights at 6:00 am.
- Make coffee and hot water as before.
- Place breakfast items on the serving table with napkins.
- Clean mattresses with bleach spray or disinfecting wipes prior to restacking.
- Place used blankets in container marked “soiled.”
- Sweep gym floor as necessary.
- Vacuum shelter entrance and bathroom hallway.
- Clean bathrooms with bleach spray or disinfecting wipes.
- Bag and carry trash to dumpster in parking lot.
- Guests are to leave by 7:00 am. Guests may enter from 7:00 pm until 6:00 am, but if a guest leaves before 7:00 am, he or she may not re-enter the shelter.
- Do Not become physically involved in any confrontation. Use your cell phone to summon Madisonville Police at 270.821.1720, or MPD, MFD, or EMS at 911.
- Wear old clothes that you don’t mind to get bleach on.
- Do not share personal information with any guest; such as last name, phone number, or email.
- Do not provide transportation for any guest.
- Do not give or loan money, cell phone, jewelry, gifts of value, or any personal items to guests.
- Do not wear expensive clothing or jewelry when working in the shelter.
- Do not accept any personal item or gift from any guest.
- Do not date, meet up with, or enter into a personal relationship of any kind with any guest.