A Prelude to the Lenten Season
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
"A PRELUDE TO THE LENTEN SEASON"
Rev. Lon Lorton
February 26, 2017
What happened at Jesus’ transfiguration is difficult to describe.
- Jesus’ divinity and Godliness were momentarily exposed.
- Jesus’ holiness was unveiled.
Characteristics of a “mountaintop experience”:
- A particularly holy moment
- A place to not want to leave
They Like Jesus But Not the Church [Dan Kimball]
- People outside the church have a good opinion of Jesus.
- People outside the church have a lousy opinion of Christians.
Peter wanted to build a bubble.
Holy places in our lives are precious, but are not to be bottled up or stored away.
Jesus needed to come down from the mountaintop, as do we.
- Our faith is developed on a journey with Christ.
For the curious, how do you suppose the disciples recognized Moses and Elijah?
- Wearing nametags?
- Recognized their voices?
- Jesus was proper in introducing everyone?