Thanksgiving and Prayer
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
"THANKSGIVING AND PRAYER"
Rev. Lon Lorton
November 15, 2015
Colossians 3:16; Ephesians 6:18-20
“Thanksgiving - and It's Only November 15th!”
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” [Colossians 6:18-20]
Do We Overlook Thanksgiving…
- By not letting the Word of Christ dwell in us richly?
- By not letting the Word of Christ teach and admonish us in all wisdom?
- By not letting the Word of Christ enter into our singing of Psalms and spiritual songs?
If we did all the above, wouldn't our hearts be filled with thankfulness to God?
“The Epitome of Christian Expression”
“…praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.” [Ephesians 6:18-20]
We hear the word "prayer" a lot.
- When you hear that word, what comes to mind?
- When you hear that word, what do you feel?
Looking at prayer from the perspective of who we are in Christ can radically alter our practice of prayer…and transform our lives in powerful ways.
“If any of you should ask me for an epitome of Christian expression, I should say that it is, in one word – prayer.” [Charles Spurgeon]