Wanting to Welcome the Prodigals
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
"WANTING TO WELCOME THE PRODIGALS"
Rev. Lon Lorton
August 4, 2019
"Oh, how can I give you up? How can I let you go? How can I forsake you? How I long to help you!" Hosea 11:8
- Husband and wife metaphor (God and Israel)
- A series of accusations and threats to the nation
- God is a parent, maybe a mother, mourning the potential loss of her child.
Luke 15 and Hosea 11 compared
- Luke's prodigal is told from the perspective of the runaway child.
- Hosea's prodigal is told from the perspective of the grieving parent.
Hosea tells of God's intimate moments shared with His children.
Hosea goes even farther in showing God's compassion.
- God does not tell us what He will do, but what He will not do.
- God is restrained by His own love, mercy, and grace.