Celebrating Mother's Day, 2019
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
"CELEBRATING MOTHER'S DAY, 2019"
Rev. Lon Lorton
May 12, 2019
- Jesus shares with us all the human experience of being born and cared for by a mother.
- Mary was there throughout Jesus' human existence.
- Mothers influence their children in everyday living.
Some Biblical references to motherhood:
- "Do not forsake the teaching of your mother." Proverbs 6:20
- "Let your mother be glad; let her rejoice who gave birth to you." Proverbs 23:25
- "Her children rise up and bless her." Proverbs 31:28
Three particular examples of motherhood:
- Jochebed, Exodus 2:1-10
- Hannah, 1 Samuel 1:1-18
- Eunice, 2 Timothy 1:3-5; 3:14-15
Changing cultural expectations of mothers from Biblical times to our times:
Stages of motherhood:
- Child-bearing to child-rearing
- Child departure and mothering adult children
A mother as God intends: