I Believe That I Don't Belong Here
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
"I BELIEVE THAT I DON'T BELONG HERE"
Rev. Lon Lorton
April 15, 2018
1 Peter 1:1-9
Introduction to 1st Peter:
- A letter from an original disciple of Jesus
- A letter from a friend to friends, all enduring trials and tribulations
As aliens, we do not belong here (verse 1).
- Elect = chosen
- Exiles = Aliens, sojourners, foreigners
- In this world but not of this world
We have a living hope (verse 3).
- Our living hope is connected to the resurrected Jesus.
- We ask, "Why does bad stuff happen to good people?" God's Word replies, "There are no good people, no not one." (Romans 3:10)
- Our only hope is resurrection - a focus beyond the scope of this world.
In the midst of testing by fire (verse 7)
- Trials act as the burning away of the dross.
Our hope is in Christ (verses 7-9).
- Our hope is in a God we cannot see right now, but whose face we will stare into throughout eternity.
What else but resurrection could transform Peter?
What else but resurrection could transform us?