In Search of a Promised Son
- Written by Lon Lorton Lon Lorton
"IN SEARCH OF A PROMISED SON"
Rev. Lon Lorton
November 26, 2017
1 Kings 2:1-4
Connecting with Old Testament characters:
- Interesting stories, but where's the "so what?"
Too many times, maybe, we jump to easy principles:
- This person did good, so you do good, too.
- This person acted like an idiot, so don't act like an idiot.
We don't always need more education for our brains:
- Sometimes we need more resurrection for our hearts.
The Old Testament is a story of people in search of a Promised Son:
- The Son of David who would bring on the new kingdom was Jesus, not Solomon.
The focus of Jesus' life was not His excellent teaching:
- It was His perfect death.
Hebrews 12:1-2 tells of a great crowd of witnesses (including Solomon?):
- "Keep your eyes on Jesus!"
- "He's already run the race and won - for you!"
God's acceptance of us does not depend on us having more wisdom:
- We need more than wisdom. We need Jesus!